Today, I saw a little thing that a Christian friend on facebook posted, called “10 signs of a Jesus follower.” It included things like, “Jesus followers don’t fear death or suffering, because Heaven and Jesus is waiting for them.” I have to admit that I skimmed it, as I just woke up, and I’m coming off of a migraine.
However, if got me thinking, and we’re gonna see if we can’t generate a list of signs of Wiccans.
Many of the qualities (looking through the headings) of that article are qualities that everyone strives for in life. The Goddess commands us, through the Charge of the Goddess, to do several things:
- Adore her. “Whenever ye have need of anything, once in the month, and better it be when the Moon is Full, then shall ye gather in some secret place and adore the Spirit of Me, Who am Queen of All Witcheries.”
- Be naked in our celebrations. “And ye shall be free from slavery; and as a sign that ye be really free, ye shall be naked in your rites.”
- Celebrate our existence and love our Gods. “And ye shall dance, sing, feast, make music and love, all in My Praise. For Mine is the Ecstasy of the Spirit, and Mine also is Joy on Earth, for My Law is Love unto all beings. “
- Persevere through trials and tribulations. “Keep pure your Highest Ideal; strive ever toward it; let naught stop you or turn you aside.”
- Never see our relationship with the Goddess as requiring sacrifice. “Nor do I demand sacrifice, for behold: I am the Mother of All Living, and My Love is poured out upon the Earth.”
- Have beauty, strength, power, compassion, honor, humility, mirth and reverence within our hearts. “And therefore let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.”
- Find the sacred within ourselves. “For behold, I have been with thee from the beginning; and I am That which is attained at the end of Desire.”
In addition to these seven, I would add the following three, which offer more worldly advice, and are things that I often struggle with, myself.
1. A Wiccan does not allow anger to rule their decisions. Although anger may be a reaction when something bad happens, the Wiccan realizes that karma and the three-fold law will help them in the future; in addition, the Wiccan responds to a bad situation by taking the path of least harm for everyone involved. Even if it means learning to let the issue go.
2. A Wiccan seems excessively happy on seemingly random days. A Wiccan celebrates their holidays not by shoving them in non-Wiccan’s faces, but instead, smiling broadly and wishing others, “Happy Fall!” or “Happy Spring!” or by asking “Isn’t it such a beautiful day?”
3. A Wiccan leads by example. If they do not wish for their children to steal; then they do not steal. If they do not wish the people around them to treat others with disrespect, then they will keep a respectful demeanor towards all conversation topics. If a Wiccan offers counsel, it is from experience: I approached this situation this way, and this is what worked for me.
Remember, friends. Being Wiccan is not about being afraid to do wrong. Rather, it is a positive experience, centered around celebrating our existence. Don’t let Christian guilt and “I’ll do better next time” rule your life — instead, work towards better, but never forget to acknowledge that who you are right now is beautiful, and sacred, and an honor to the Gods.